- the night before, peter overcomes his fear of nemesis and asks her for help the next day. she declines as he has nothing to offer her, and he offends her by being presumptuous.
- We gathered supplies and were paraded to the notre dame grounds. no one followed us to the door
- jaculeen prayed to hermes to gain information about where to find the books and tools we’ll need to make the artifact
- we opened the door, and an undead soldier greeted us, stating “my liege, we have him trapped upstairs”
- we quickly deduced that they were stuck on the day of the attack and thought hermes was trapped upstairs
- they however quickly sensed that jaculeen was a follower of Hermes. the soldier ordered her attacked…an archer fired first and critical hit, head shot, instant killed her.
- marceline and peter both made critical successes on will saves to resist the urge to freak out
- we went inside and asked the guard to help us “prepare to fight him” by gathering the supplies we needed to do the ritual. we failed a fear save for the undead with scythes and ran outside.
- when we composed ourselves and re-opened the door, the soldier greeted us exactly the same. we continued with the same charade.
- after gathering the required supplies, we decided without jaculeen we were not competent enough to perform the ritual
- we went back outside, and peter prayed to nemesis again – this time she agreed to return jaculeens soul if we found someone to restore her body AND destroyed notre dame. we agreed.
- we went back in and told the undead we had to burn the place, they helped us spread the oil and pitch we had brought around, we set it on fire, and they all ran out of the burning building into the sun, which destroyed them.
- we wrapped jaculeen in a rug from the building and escaped the city.
This was the last game of the Gualish party for the time being. We did not plan on Jaculeen dying – that was totally up to the rolls. We actually won initiative in that fight, but due to the fact that we just stood there in awe when they began to be suspicious the DM ruled that we wasted our turns. In fact, we didn’t really do much planning at all. Marceline was impatient and didn’t want to spend forever on what she felt was pointless – she didn’t feel they’d be able to learn much of anything without just going in, and she knew once they were in they couldn’t turn back – the Queen and all of Gaul would be waiting for them. This really upset Jaculeen and Peter, but when the Queen showed up and told them it was time to go, the argument became moot.